blog description

Old women talk about old things: history, myth, magic and their
checkered pasts, about what changes and what does not.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Crone Camouflage

There I was, lost and adrift again
My musing dreaming creative minds-eye
Free floating in bright autumn skies
Playing in the drifting shifting patterns
Scattering wind-chased clouds
Layers over layers, forms over forms
Shape-shifting
Balancing on the edge of non-ordinary reality
I fell, swooping into wonder "What if..?"
Crone identity popularly known as hag, worthless and discarded
Morphed… belief can make such things so
Into secret mysterious power to live disguised
(I'm thinking here of Wonder-woman!)
Camouflaged like an urban fox
Dining well on silly city mice
These thoughts amuse me, shuffling along with my walking stick
Ridiculously slow, my grey head bent in concentration
While all the while within, Life-force energy burns bright
Tonight under the silver moon what magic will we brew?
What miracles cook up in our colourful creative cauldron?

3 comments:

  1. The urban fox dining on silly city mice--great image. And I was born in 1941, the same year WonderWoman was lfirst published by Marvel Comics But my hair hasn't turned grey yet.
    I've never posted before in this blog, so I'm unsure how to sign myself or "comment as". B. McGraw

    ReplyDelete
  2. NJ--love this--probably ever more urban animals, as "urban" spreads like a malignancy. And we shuffle past, mostly unnoticed, thinking our "radical" Crone thoughts. Love the artwork, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poem with such evocative images. So well done.

    ReplyDelete